The Australian Institute of Management is contracted as an assessing authority by the Australian Government to assess senior management skills for applicants for the purpose of skilled migration to Australia. Managers are assessed against these criteria and not the functions of the general managerial occupations, as set out in the Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations (ANZSCO).
Guidelines are based on the level of work experience, training and qualifications achieved. To satisfy these requirements applicants must hold a senior management position and for your information the criteria used are as follows:
Chief Executive or Managing Director 
To meet the requirements for assessment as CEO/Managing Director for migration purposes, an applicant must:
- Currently hold, or have held, the most senior management position across the whole organisation over a continuous period at least three years
- Have proven and successful experience in a top management position at the level of Corporate General Manager or equivalent prior to being appointed to the position of CEO/Managing Director
- Be the owner of the business; or report directly to the Board of Directors of the business; or report directly to the Head of the Government Department who reports directly to the relevant Minister if the applicant works in the public sector; or be a senior management consultant providing advice to client organisations at Board level
- Be wholly responsible for implementing strategy and policy across the entire organisation in accordance with organisational objectives determined by the Board of Directors
- Be responsible for negotiating, planning and implementing decisions related to mergers, acquisitions or the sale of major assets for the entire organisation
- Be responsible for designing, developing and implementing financial budgets for the whole organisation to achieve the priorities and objectives determined by the Board of Directors
- Ensure that the organisation structure of the whole organisation is designed to achieve the priorities and objectives determined by the Board of Directors
- Have the decision making authority to delegate responsibility to the most senior operational manager who would be eligible for assessment as Corporate General Manager under the criteria outlined below
The positions of both Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and Managing Director (MD) are defined as the most senior managers in the organisation. The incumbent MUST have the decision making authority across the whole organisation and not just subsidiary divisions or departments of the organisation. In some organisations the CEO/MD may delegate some or all of this decision making authority to a Corporate General Manager, which is reflected in that manager's Position Description.
Corporate General Manager 
To meet the requirements for assessment as Corporate General Manager for migration purposes, an applicant must:
- Have, or have held, a proven record of top management experience over a continuous period of at least three years.
- Have proven and successful experience in a functional area of management prior to being appointed to the position of Corporate General Manager
- Currently hold the most senior day-to-day operational position within the organisation
- Report directly to the CEO, Managing Director, Board of Directors or owner of the business; or report directly to the Head of Department if the applicant works in the public sector; or be a senior management consultant providing consultancy advice to client organisations at CEO, Managing Director or Board level.
- Have delegated authority from the Chief Executive Officer or Managing Director for managing and achieving the organisation's financial budgets and outcomes
- Have the decision making authority over a wide range of responsibilities through delegation to three or more subordinate managers who would be eligible for assessment as a senior functional manager under the criteria outlined below:
Senior Functional Manager - this category covers the following positions:
- Sales and Marketing Manager 
- Advertising Manager 
- Public Relations Manager 
- Human Resource Manager 
- Engineering Manager 
- Supply and Distribution Manager 
- Procurement Manager 
To be assessed as Senior Functional Manager for migration purposes, an applicant must:
- Have a proven record in a senior functional management position over a continuous period of at least three (3) years, requiring the delegation of authority directly to three or more subordinate managers each of whom hold positions requiring the delegation of work to three or more subordinates in managerial or supervisory positions;
- Hold the most senior management position within the applicant’s functional area of responsibility within the organisation;
- Report directly to the Owner of the business, Corporate General Manager, Chief Executive Officer or Managing Director; or report directly to the Department Head if the applicant works within the public sector: or provide consultancy advice as a Senior Management Consultant to client organisations at the level of Corporate General Manager or above;
- Have the decision making responsibility, through delegation to three or more subordinate managers, for a range of specific responsibilities in the applicant’s functional area;
- Be wholly responsible for achieving his/her functional responsibilities within the organisation;
- Have had a proven and successful experience in a broad range of managerial responsibilities prior to being appointed to the top functional position.
For all applications, the years of experience may be reduced if the applicant has qualifications in management studies or business administration assessed as comparable to an Australian Bachelor, Post Graduate or Master degree, or in a discipline relevant to the field in which the manager is working. This applies where the qualification concerned has been completed immediately prior to, or within the relevant time frame of years of management experience being assessed. The Country Education Profiles prepared by the National Office of Overseas Skills Recognition are the basis for an educational assessment.
To be assessed as a senior manager for migration purposes, the complexity and size of the organisation will influence the assessment. Applicants will require senior management experience over a diverse range of responsibilities including authority over three or more subordinates who are also at managerial level. Senior functional managers would therefore have a high level of discretionary authority.
Senior managers tend to manage departments servicing the overall operations of the organisation and where delegation to several subordinate managers involved in specific but related functions is required. The critical components in applying these criteria are the breadth and depth of the applicant’s own managerial responsibilities and those of the subordinate managers reporting directly to the applicant. An important criterion is that the organisation chart must show that the applicant supervises three or more direct reporting managers.
The criteria for recognition as a senior manager for migration purposes make it clear that the applicant must be responsible for a range of responsibilities at a level which is concerned with the implementation of the organisation’s strategies and policies.
Our assessment is based upon a review of an entire career history, but with an emphasis on the immediate past three (3) years, and satisfactory evidence is sought of managerial progression through increased authority and responsibility of each position thereby demonstrating a period of sustained success.
If you believe you meet these criteria, please proceed to step 2:
Submit a Management Skills Assessment form with your personal details and supporting documentation. A non-refundable application fee of AUD$550 is required upon submission. Please take time to fully complete the form, as incomplete applications may be returned.
Download the AIM information booklet and application form for assessment of management skills for migration:
* Application fees paid by applicants residing in Australia will incur 10% GST. Fees for applicants who do not reside in Australia are GST free.
Please note there are new addresses for AIM Skilled Migration Assessment:
Post: GPO Box 2229, Brisbane QLD 4000, Australia
Courier delivery: Level 16, 40 Creek Street, Brisbane QLD 4000, Australia